Institute of Biomedical Research of Barcelona (IIBB)
Spanish Research Counsil (CSIC)
David de Gonzalo Calvo, PhD
My scientific activity is focused on the fields of "Molecular Diagnostics" and "Basic Research of Molecular Medicine". We have expertise in biomarker research, more specifically in the study of non-coding RNAs as biomarkers of cardiovascular-related conditions. All the research lines have a robust translational perspective, from clinical needs to basic science.
Main research areas
Non-coding RNAs (microRNAs and long-non coding RNAs) as novels diagnostic, prognostic and therapeutic biomarkers of cardiovascular disease:
- Circulating biomarkers of atherosclerosis.
- Circulating biomarkers of diabetic cardiomyopathy and diabetes complications.
- Circulating biomarkers of dilated cardiomyopathy with special focus on familial dilated cardiomyopathy.
- Circulating biomarkers for prediction of treatment response.
- Effect of exercise on the circulating profile of novel biomarkers with potential clinical application.
Summary of methods available for cooperation
- Non-coding based techniques: microRNA and lncRNA profiling in cells, tissues and body fluids (plasma and serum) by real-time PCR (RT-qPCR).
- In vitro models:
- Primary culture of human coronary and aortic smooth muscle cells;
- HL-1 cardiomyocytes.
- Extracellular vesicles: microvesicle isolation and characterization (flow cytometry, immunoblot, RNA profile).
Interested in collaborating on
- Establish collaborations with Cardiolinc members with the final aim of increasing our expertise in other molecular biology techniques such as global transcriptomic analysis or functional analysis and other in vitro and in vivo models.
- Establish collaborations with Cardiolinc members with the final aim of developing new products useful in diagnosis, prognosis or therapy.
- Establish international collaborations to set up future applications for European funding.
Selected publications on ncRNA and cardiovascular disease
Circulating non-coding RNAs in biomarker-guided cardiovascular therapy: a novel tool for personalised medicine?
de Gonzalo-Calvo D, Vea A, Bär C, Fiedler J, Couch L, Brotons C, Llorente-Cortés V, Thum T. Eur Heart J. 2018.
Circulating microRNAs as emerging cardiac biomarkers responsive to acute exercise
de Gonzalo-Calvo D, Dávalos A, Fernández-Sanjurjo M, Amado-Rodríguez L, Díaz-Coto S, Tomás-Zapico C, Montero A, García-González A, Llorente-Cortés V, Hera ME, Boratia Pérez A, Díaz-Martínez AE, Úbeda N, Iglesias-Gutiérrez E. Int J Cardiol. 2018.
Circulating Long Noncoding RNAs in Personalized Medicine: Response to Pioglitazone Therapy in Type 2 Diabetes
de Gonzalo-Calvo D, Kenneweg F, Bang C, Toro R, van der Meer RW, Rijzewijk LJ, Smit JW, Lamb HJ, Llorente-Cortes V, Thum T. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2016, 68(25):2914-2916.
Circulating long-non coding RNAs as biomarkers of left ventricular diastolic function and remodelling in patients with well-controlled type 2 diabetes
de Gonzalo-Calvo D, Kenneweg F, Bang C, Toro R, van der Meer RW, Rijzewijk LJ, Smit JW, Lamb HJ, Llorente-Cortes V, Thum T. Sci Rep. 2016, 6:37354.
Circulating inflammatory miRNA signature in response to different doses of aerobic exercise
de Gonzalo-Calvo D, Dávalos A, Montero A, García-González Á, Tyshkovska I, González-Medina A, Soares SM, Martínez-Camblor P, Casas-Agustench P, Rabadán M, Díaz-Martínez ÁE, Úbeda N, Iglesias-Gutiérrez E. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2015, 119(2):124-34.